This course combines an online component with a classroom component in a program designed to better prepare instructors with the skills and knowledge to deliver ITLS training more effectively to a global audience.
1. Successfully complete the ITLS Provider course you wish to teach (Advanced or Basic, or Pediatric). Individuals who complete an Advanced course are eligible to teach Basic or Advanced level courses.
2. Earn the Instructor Potential designation by achieving specific scores on both the Written and Practical Exams at the Provider course:
3. Purchase and complete the Instructor Course Online Component, an 8-module online course built on a foundation of adult education principles.
4. Attend an Instructor Course Classroom Component course, where you will review and practice facilitating skill stations, administering testing procedures, and evaluating student performance.
5. Be monitored teaching a lecture, skill station, and testing at an ITLS Provider course.
6. Receive your ITLS Instructor card and become eligible to instruct at ITLS courses.
NOTE: If you have not already met the requirements outlined in items #1 and #2 above, you will need to complete them before you are eligible to become an ITLS instructor. Do not purchase the Instructor Course Online Component program unless you are certain you have fulfilled these requirements.
If you have any questions about whether you are eligible to take the Instructor Course Online Component to become an ITLS Instructor, please contact your local Chapter or Training Centre before purchasing the program. Find contact info
ITLS introduced the ITLS 9th Edition Instructor Update in 2019 as a required tool for ITLS instructors to update to the 9th edition ITLS provider manual. All instructors are required to complete the 9th Edition Instructor Update Online before they are allowed to teach from the 9th edition textbook.
The Instructor Update Online cannot be used to renew an Instructor certification if you have previously completed the 9th Edition Update program, or if you received your initial Instructor certification after November 2019.
Haven’t yet updated to the 9th edition? Find out more or register
Current PHTLS, TNCC or ATLS instructors are eligible to take an Instructor Bridge Course to facilitate reciprocal certification and become a certified ITLS Instructor. The Instructor Bridge program requires the successful completion of the Instructor Course Online Component and an in-person Classroom Component. ITLS instructor candidates who successfully complete these requirements must be monitored teaching an ITLS course to gain ITLS instructor certification.